Monday, October 29, 2007

Oh to have a poncho...or a mumu

The second week of classes has started! My German was thoroughly sucking today, and I could barely get a decent sentence out. I sat through my Politics of Migration class and barely understood a word. The nice girl next to me asked me a few questions, and I didn't have the faintest idea what she was saying. You know when you watch the Spanish channel and how fast they speak? In class, it seems Germans are able to match that speed! Holy smoke, Batman! I will have to try harder tomorrow.

Also, I think I am down to just four classes, which is definitely enough work. I might still attend my Middle East class just for knowledge and fun (did I just write fun?), but I don't want to write the big paper at the end and give the presentation. Plus, I think I was signed up for the presentation in 10 days, and Dad will still be here, and that would be way too much work.

It rained all day today. Heavily. From the moment I woke up (earlier than I had to because I thought I had a 10 am class and did not) until, no wait, yep, it's still raining!

I tried taking public transit to Uni today, but that is not easy. Angelina and I had different opinions about which would be the fastest way to Uni. I said, taking the number 25 bus to Sierichstrasse, then catching the U3 over to Kellinghusenstrasse and switching to the U1, and then exiting at Hallerstrasse and walking the ten minutes or so to campus. She thought I should do something else. I think I'm right. lol. Still, it took about 45 minutes to get there. I like the bike idea. Just not in the pouring rain. Maybe if I get a big poncho? You know, the kind that look like big mumus? Did I spell mumu right? It's just one of those words you don't use everyday. I mean, it's not like I get up and say, "hey Monica, do you remember where I put my multi-colored mumu last night?" And she would say, "no, but I think your flower print one is hanging up to dry in the basement." You see my point?

Angelina's mother is coming in from Nice, France tonight. And Dad will be here Wednesday! Yay! Right now he's poolside in Dubai. Ahhhh. And Mom started her new job today, fingers crossed for her!

I suppose I should get back to my readings. It's either read about the history of the Arab-Israeli conflict (of which I know appallingly little!), watch Bridget Jones' Diary 2, or read a bit from Mountains Beyond Mountains or Stephen Colbert's I Am America (So Can You). Hmmm, all so very tempting!

Oh, by the way, I'm back to drying my clothes on my heater. I love the heaters here. But nothing says you're living in Germany like underwear drying on the heater!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Now Kate, make sure you do your work and work on your thesis, deadlines come sooner than you expect :) I know you'll do well though and I understand the struggles you were going through. Hope your rainy day ended well :)

Mary said...

Kate, don't let Megan tease you about working, I see she is blogging while working :) If any of the material you are reading on the Arab-Israeli conflict is printed in English I would love titles. Glenn's sister was here last week and found a really cute raincoat in H&M. Sounds like you need one.