Thursday, October 25, 2007

Vacuuming up spiders

A popular way to rid the living area of spiders is often to simply vacuum them up. And there are always plenty around when one lives in Germany. I vacuumed them up about three days ago, but it's definitely time to do it again later today.

Monday's salsa didn't work b/c the cafe doesn't exist anymore. Hmmm, could my website be out of date? Tuesday night I did find some salsa nearby, and it was a smaller group, but some could dance fairly well. The university, however, does not appear to have a ballroom group. Everyone does it at schools. That doesn't sound like it's as much fun. I'd rather have a more laid-back environment.

I am meeting people, though. I've met some nice Germans. Weird, huh? It's usually easier to meet foreigners.

It's even warmer now, in the high 40s. That whole freezing thing wasn't amusing. I hope it stays like this for awhile. Semi-dry and above freezing!

I wish I had taken a picture yesterday when I bought a printer and thought I could take it home on my bike. Um, yeah. I figured it wouldn't be so big. The cheaper ones were bigger, though. A very nice saleswoman helped me carry it out, and then attached it to my bike basket with a rope. However, it was definitely bigger than the basket, and didn't really sit in it, and it covered my seat. I decided to walk the bike home, slowly and carefully. Over every little bump it rocked precariously, and I was afraid it was about to be printer overboard. I did, though, make it home ok without anything breaking. Whew! And for those of you who asked me about getting a land line, I did buy a telephone, I've just not hooked it up yet. If you did want that number, just email me and I send it.

Another thing about classes. You don't go out and buy books like you do in the U.S. Usually the Germans find this too expensive, and the teacher puts together a binder of readings and you have to get that. Which means they sent it to a copy shop (of which there are many) in town, and you go there and if you luck out, it's the kind where they copy it for you and all you have to do it pay. One of my teachers did that. Two others did the, copy it yourself method. That's fun, boy howdy. lol.

I think that's about it for news. Oh, right. No, Megan, my eye is not better. Anything a few feet from me blurs, even with the glasses. It makes it hard when I ride the bike, especially at night (and especially with a broken light!). lol. As said before, I guess I will just have to be patient and make do as best I can until the surgeon can look at it again in February. Until then I'll just have to console myself with lovely German food, scenery, landscape, and lots of difficult, academic German reading. Ahhh.

I need to head off to class. I was thinking of take the bus today, but I think I'll try the bike one last time. My knees were so sore yesterday! I'm not used to this much biking. But it's a lovely ride.

Hope you all are doing well!

: )

3 comments:

Mutti said...

I want the land line number... I want the land line number!!! A printer in a bike basket. Now THAT you should have taken a picture of! Sounds like you're doing ok, though. Miss you bunches!!!!!

Megan said...

Sorry your eye isn't better, but I'm glad you're having such a good time :) What classes did you decide on? I'm jealous of the good food you get to eat.

Unknown said...

Hey, kiddo,,I decided it was easier to comment than to write a blog of my own. See you soon!