Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rain

I ventured out into the city today. I found the Uni without much trouble, and the people in the International Office were very helpful. I have to go back tomorrow morning between 10 and 12 and someone should be there to help me get set up and answer questions. Sounds lovely!

After that I tried my hand at exploring the city. Then the rain started. I thought it might stop soon, so I just biked around and checked things out. Then I got a bit lost. Then it started to pour. And then I got really, really wet. And more lost. The map I got got all soaked. Hm. I finally asked a few people for directions and clumsily made my way home, drenched, cold, and then, oh yes, got slightly lost one last time. As I was trying to decipher the map that was so wet it was now falling apart, my bike (darn thing doesn't have a kick stand! argh) and backpack fell over. Into mud. Of course. Hm.

I stopped in a nearby cafe and I must have looked pathetic. Some nice women gave me directions on how to get home. When I stepped inside and peeled off the wet clothes, I looked in the mirror and saw I even had mud on my face. No idea how that got there! What a sight I was. And things don't dry well here. My shirts have been hanging up for hours and are still incredibly damp. We don't have a dryer, just a washer, so I wonder how well my clothes will dry. Hamburg is one of thought damp cities where the wetness sort of seeps into your bones.

I was successful in getting a bright lamp today, though. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I needed to be able to see in my own room! And now I'm unpacked and have cleaned a bit and even went back out later to search for a Doener. It just isn't Germany without eating a Doener. I found an ok place, but I think I'll keep my eyes open for a better one. I hope tomorrow is dry.

Friday Emma and I are going to hang out. I think I'll ask her to show me a bit more around town. So far it's a lovely city, even in the pouring rain. : )

Oh, and my blogsite is in German over here and I don't know how to make it in English. Lol.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Megan and I took a tour of the docks there, don't recall the exact rank but the docks are one of the largest. If you are ever around a cathederal with a burned spire left as a memorial of what war does, take a photo for me :) We saw it on the bus in, so stark, forboding and beautiful. I tried to get a photo when we left but missed.

Enjoy that great German bread.

Mary

Megan said...

Make sure you stay warm. How long is your bike ride from your apartment to the uni? How big is the lake and does it freeze in the winter?