Tuesday, October 16, 2007

First Day

Ok, so my first day is coming to a close. I had some excitement in the Munich airport. I only had a 45-minute lay-over scheduled, and they had said I wouldn't have to go through customs and security, but alas, I DID! So I did the unthinkable and asked to cut in the way too long of a line at customs and the nice people there let me. Whew. Then I ran through security, and hauled down long hallways. When they redid the Munich airport they made it huge!!!!!!! I just made the flight. Which is good b/c I was way tired and feeling a bit sick by that point.

When I got to Hamburg, the taxi driver yelled at me. Sheesh. I had only been here a few minutes and already I was the dumb foreigner. And even better was being yelled at by a foreigner whose German is worse than mine! Hmpf. Just because I didn't see the nonexistent queue for the taxis. Hello, like Germans queue! Argh.

I got into my apartment and my boxes arrived and I've yet to unpack. But I did find food. A few cleaning supplies.

Emma came over after work and we had tea and cookies (some Hanuta to be exact, oh yummy!) and caught up. I've not seen her in years. She is going to give me a few lamps. Lol. My apartment is cute, but too dark. There really isn't a living room b/c it's my roomie's room, and the kitchen is small with no table, but there is a washing machine so who can really complain? The bathroom is pretty cool. And my room looks out onto the street. She even gave me towels and blankets. The roomie seems pretty cool. Sadly she is off to Rome tomorrow for a few days. Well, not sad for her. : )

Tomorrow I'll try to unpack and venture in to the city. I've yet to get a map of my own and have that total lack of orientation which is always weird. But I'll borrow her bike and find my way around the lake and into town. Apparently I live in the poshest area of town. How cool is that? It IS really beautiful.

Monica, I tried to make carrots the way you do, but I couldn't find brown sugar here, the closest thing I found was brown sugar cubes and they are like rocks. lol.

Ok, I need to shower and try to sleep. I miss everyone already soooooooo much. But like I told all of you, I will now tell myself that I will be home before I know it. And will have a great time and hopefully learn lots.

Hope you all are well!

: )

2 comments:

Megan said...

Kate, I'm really glad you made it safely and seem happy. Hi to Emma from me too. You should post pictures of you apartment once you get moved in and get it furnished. I know you will have a great year and will learn lots, there is no way both of those things cannot happen. :) Hugs!!!

Mary said...

Kate, glad you made it there safely. Make sure you get your bus pass early, remember the adventure you and Megan had in Tubingen when you did not :)
Mary